I know we talked about the Alcatraz Proclamation in class, but I wanted to talk about a certain section.I thought that this next section was really fitting. "Further, it would be fitting and symbolic that ships from all over the world, entering the Golden Gate, would first see Indian land, and thus be reminded of the true history of this nation. This tiny island would be a symbol of the great lands once ruled by free and noble Indians." I know it is partly sarcastic but it shows the truth as well. After everything the government did to the Natives it is only fair that they should have such a significant location to remind everyone what happened. I think that it would be a good reminder to show all that the Natives have gone through to the world. I also think that this would have been a great opportunity for the start of the ideas that would later be expressed by Linda Tuhiwai Smith. I feel that this is one of the main starters to the movements that is still going on.
In reading the Alcatraz Proclamation I thought the exact same thing. I liked the idea that the Natives would hold such an important piece of land that would be symbolic of their hardships and how hard they fought to be where they are today. I haven't been to Alcatraz personally but growing up in the North Bay, I have seen it several times. No one currently lives on the land or possibly ever will, and this makes me upset that the space could have been utilized by the Natives, as opposed to be a historic site.
ReplyDelete